Rules: Once you've been tagged, you are supposed to write a note with 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about you. At the end, choose 25 people to be tagged. You have to tag the person who tagged you. If I tagged you, it's because I want to know more about you. Also, this tagging business is stressful.
1. I have a tendency to be a little obsessive. Right now, I'm obsessing over word games (especially Scrabble,) skin care and what's on netflix instant play. In the past, it's been milk glass, yarn, garage sales, the best cheeseburger in the NW Chicago suburbs, local food, birdwatching -- I could go on.
2. I have a needle phobia, but only in a medical context. Getting blood drawn turns into a team exercise, but I have a tattoo and have had multiple piercings.
3. I grew up in New Mexico, but I haven't been back in more than five years and I have no plans to return.
4. However, in my 'winning the lottery' daydreams, I would build a jewelbox of an adobe house in northern New Mexico, with wood floors and a garden tub under a skylight. I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about this or anything.
5. I met my husband on the internet. After a few trips back and forth, I got on a plane with one suitcase and moved to an apartment in Lincoln Square. Our five year wedding anniversary was last fall.
6. I love recipes that cause me to use every pan in the kitchen and take all day.
7. I'm working my way though the Fiction Writing program at Columbia College Chicago. I just started my second semester and I'm enjoying myself very much. I should be done in two more years. I write young adult fiction. I am also considering an MFA when I'm done, but we'll see.
8. I'm a super picky eater. People seem most surprised when they learn I don't eat condiments. I have a problem with the texture.
9. I learned to read at two and a half.
10. I don't drink soda at all. When I was younger, if I wasn't drinking alcohol, I was drinking Coke. I gave it up five years ago. Last summer, my husband and I got one of those wee glass bottles of soda and between us we couldn't finish it.
11. I'm a member of the Romance Writers of America. My local chapter is full of amazing publishing professionals who have taught me so much about the business of writing.
12. The company I work for is mostly seasonal. This means that at this time of year I only work 9 hours a week. It's awesome.
13. I have a secret fondness for courtroom TV shows, which I get to indulge when I work only a few hours a week.
14. I think I'm pretty boring, which means I have a hard time finishing memes like this.
15. I'm totally addicted to green chile. I almost cried when Trader Joe's started carrying canned Hatch chile. Every fall I swear I'm going to get some frozen shipped to me but I haven't done it yet.
16. On the rare occasion I eat cereal, I eat it dry, as milk makes me ill. Apparently I even had to have soy formula when I was a baby.
17. Even though we live way out in the suburbs, my husband and I have one car. We commute into Chicago via the Metra. In fact, proximity to the train line was one of our main criteria when deciding where to buy a house.
18. About a year after I got married, my parents and sister moved to the Chicago area. Having my family here is really nice.
19. I am a reformed book buyer. I get most of my reading and listening material from the library. Despite this, I have had to buy three new bookcases since we bought our house two years ago. I think books follow me home.
20. I taught myself to knit a few years ago when the first Stitch and Bitch book came out. Knitting has been one of my most rewarding hobbies. Also, most expensive.
21. I've been online since 1995. I had my first webpage in 1996. I had a personal journal (before blogs!) in 1999 and I've been writing on the web in one form or another ever since.
22. I hate entering any form of entertainment in the middle -- I want to watch TV shows or read book series from the beginning. This means that I am often several years behind everyone else when it comes to pop culture conversation. Also, it means that I miss a lot of shows because I never feel like I have enough time to watch an entire run of something.
23. If I'm in the car, I'm listening to NPR, unless Garrison Keillor or that dumb Dick Gordon are on. When we last went on vacation, I even used the NPR radio mapping function so that I knew what stations to listen to while on the road. On our way home, Peter asked me in a small and plaintive voice if we could please listen to the iPod.
24. At work, I listen to a LOT of podcasts. My perennial favorites are Car Talk, Wait Wait, Don't Tell Me, and The Sound of Young America. We even went to a taping of Wait Wait last year. I also quite like I Should Be Writing, which is, well, a podcast about writing.
25. I LOVE naps. I will actually wake up early on a weekend, just so I can go back to sleep in the afternoon.